Atanas Atanasov is one of those painters who leave happy memories in their teachers not only with their talent and artistic outlook to every assignement in the academic studio, but also with the ambitious and unique style they have developed-a style based on refined sensitivity and creative perception and interpretation of ancient Bulgarian icon-painting tradition. Atanas Atanasov is an accomplished artist whose inner poetics penetrates deeply into the very soul of nature and by revealing its strength and splendour creates a spiritual domain.At a time when temptations have almost replaced true ordeals, Atanas Atanasov has succeeded in preserving and developing the virtues of an absorbing and beautiful style of painting born through experience that combines in a natural way the genuine tradition with the truth in the artist's heart. And it is the truth that stands above the subject, above the definite and carefully mastered form, above rhythm and composition, above the world of real fiction- the truth is in that intangible mystery of plastic substance which transforms physical space into a boundless realm of spirit.
1964 Born in Bourgas
In 1991 AtanasAtanassov graduated from the National Academy of Fine Arts in Sofia in the painting course of professor Svetlin Russev. He is a member of the Unionof Bulgarian Artists from 1997. He is working in the sphere of the art of painting, the mural painting and the illustration.
“Art-36” Gallery – Sofia; “Arena” Gallery – Sofia; “Trakia” Gallery – Plovdiv; “Bulart” Gallery – Varna; Boiana Church Museum; “Nessi” Gallery – Bourgas; “Trak – Art” Gallery – Plovdiv; “Apolonia” – Sozopol; National Autumn Exhibitions – Plovdiv; Sofia Press Gallery; Prolet Gallery, Bourgas; City Gallery of Pazardzik;
- 1990 International Miniature Competition - “Del Bello” Gallery – Toronto, Canada;
- 1991 Bulgarian icons and painting – Toulouse, Albi, Castre, France;
- 1996 International Painting Triennial - Sofia;
- 1996 New bed style painting ( in collaboration with PlamenTodorov and KrassimirDobrev, curator –RuenRuenov) – “Art 36” Gallery – Sofia and “Romphea” Gallery – Plovdiv;
- 1997 International Aquarelle Competition - : ZinaidaGui – Italy;
- 1999 International symposium of fine arts – Samotrakiisland, Greece;
- 2001 “Quattropany” Gallery – Switzerland (in collaboration with StanimirZhelev and ValentinaBachvarova);
- 2004 National Exhibition“ Poetic Reality” – “Shipka 6 Gallery”;
- 2005 national Exhibition “Portrait” – “Shipka 6 Gallery’;
- 2006, 2008,2010 National Exhibition “Friends of the sea” - Bourgas; “
- 2006 Small Shapes Biennial” – Pleven;
- 200610х5х3 (curator PetarZmeicharov) – “Shipka 6 Gallery”;
- 2006 National Exhibiton“ Art of The Bulgarian Book” – “Shipka 6 Gallery”;
- 2007 National Exhibition “Levski and Time” – Parardzik;
- 2008 Contemporary Bulgarian Art Awards of M-tel” – Plovdiv
- 2010 Representative exhibition of Bulgarian Artists in Coburg, Germany;
- 2011 Dachsund in Contemporary Bulgarian Art (curator Elena Panayotova)
- 2011 Exhibition “Eros e Tartufi”, CastellodeiBusca, Italy (curator Giordano Berti)
- III award for painting from the International Miniature Competition - “Del Bello” Gallery – Toronto, Canada in 1990.
- Diplomafоrentire presenting from the Third Biennial of the Small Shapes; Pleven 2006.
- Award “StanislavDospevski” From The StanislavDospevskiGallery for the National Exhibition “Levski and Time” – 2007.
- Award for Painting from ‘’Friennds of the Sea” – Biennal for contemporary art -Burgas -2008
- First Award in the Competition “ The Bulgarian Woman Of the 21 century” – Union of Bulgarian Art and “KrasnaiaLinia” -2008
- From 1994 AtanasAtanassov is working for “Lo Scarabeo” Publishing House and from 2003 – for “Kibea” Publishing House and “Simply Read Books”
- Since 2008he is a part-time lecturer in drawing in the National Academy of Fine Arts, Sofia
- 2009-2010 painting commissioned by the Ministry of Culture of Republic of Macedonia- a portrait of Russian Emperor Nicolas II, and Turkish Sultans Abdul Azis, and Abdul Medjid, for the Historical Museum in Scopje.
- Since 2011 he is Assistent Professor of drawing in the National Academy of Fine Arts, Sofia
- 2011 Specialization in Cite des Art Paris